Thursday, March 30, 2017

Rotation


I was a one-at-a-time stitcher for years, and when I came back to stitching a couple of years ago, I still was, and the only project I had was Chatelaine's Egypt Garden.


Then I kept seeing Instagram photos of a beautiful sampler that several stitchers were working on, and pretty soon I could no longer resist it, so in late January I started that too. It's the 2017 Mystery Sampler by Linen and Threads. Each month another band of the sampler is released, and it's FREE. You can find out more about the sampler and download each month's pattern here, and do join the Facebook group so you can see everyone's gorgeous work. The Mystery Sampler is my take-along project for down time during work.



While I was rummaging around for something else, I found my long-forgotten Bluebell by Nora Corbett. The poor thing's been headless for years. (My fairy, I mean, not Nora herself.) I first started her probably 5 or 6 years ago and just started stitching on her again at the beginning of March.



Then I was having a not-so-great day about the same time I found Bluebell, so I thought starting something else might cheer me up. It did. This is Prairie Schooler's K is for Kitty.


The very next week, I started another new one. This is also a Prairie Schooler design, and it's called Hocus Pocus. I started it so I could participate in #dark13stitching,

 

And now we come to my most embarrassing WIP...Lady of the Flag by Mirabilia. I was watching FlossTube one night when Vonna Pfeiffer from The Twisted Stitcher mentioned this pattern and all of a sudden it hit me:  I'd started this one years and years ago and had totally forgotten about it! How does that even happen?? I have no good explanation for this. (I refuse to accept my son's reasoning that I'm old and forgetful.) I scrabbled through the junk in my closet and found the Lady on scroll rods propped against the closet wall with a bag of floss next to her. I'll start stitching on her again in a few days.



If you follow me on Instagram my rotation probably seems a little haphazard. I'll try to explain it. I work night shift as a police dispatcher on 12-hour shifts 3 or 4 nights a week, so my cross-stitch rotation is split into "work" and "home". Big projects on scroll rods are too cumbersome to drag along to work every night, so those won't ever make it into the work rotation. Right now my work rotation is really only one project, the Linen and Threads Mystery Sampler, because I want to stay caught up on it and it usually takes me all month to finish that month's band. If I finish it early (I did in March) then I can rotate in other projects. At home I have more space for stitching and fewer interruptions, so I can stitch big projects on scroll rods and projects that need more careful attention, like things with specialty stitches. At home I rotate Egypt Garden, Bluebell, K is for Kitty, and Lady of the Flag. I usually stitch on the same project during all of my days off. That means my "week" of stitching at home is really only 3 or 4 days. The 13th of every month I'll stitch on Hocus Pocus for Dark13Stitching. I stick to this rotation pretty faithfully because it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment